12a Regent Road, Yarmouth       



(Regent Road studios)


EDIS, Miss O

Church Street, Sheringham     

KN1908, KN1912, KN1916


In addition to running a fashionable studio, Olive Edis (1876-1955) also created a photographic archive of the Sheringham fishing community. The only female photographer to be thus singled out, she was commissioned to record the work of the Womens' Services at the end of the First World War. Norfolk historian Christopher Pipe draws attention to the collection of her photographs - including some autochromes - at the Cromer Museum, and to the book 'Face to face, Sheringham, Norfolk: the remarkable story of photographers Olive Edis and Cyril Nunn' by Alan Childs, Ashley Sampson and Cyril Nunn (Tiverton: Halsgrove, 2005). (Cyril Nunn, who carried on her work, falls outside the timescale of this directory.) A small selection of her photographs can be found on the Cromer Museum website.


EDWARDS, Charles


5 Marlborough Place, Yarmouth       



Regent Road, Yarmouth       

FP1859, HN1863, CY1863, WN1864, HN1872, GY1874, HN1877


81 Regent Road, Yarmouth       

KN1865, HN1868, MS1868, KN1869


68 Regent Road, Yarmouth       

KN1875, SYc1878, KN1879


An ambrotype, probably from 1859 or 1860, gives the following information: ‘C Edwards, Photographer, three doors east of Catholic Church, Regent Road, Great Yarmouth; established 1852.’ The same date of establishment has also been found on a carte de visite mount dating from the 1870s. His advertisement in FP1859 urges readers to 'go to Edwards' Ambrotype Portrait Establishment ... where you will obtain a first-class portrait - warranted not to fade -

in frame complete, from 6d each. N.B. Oil paintings, engravings and photographs copied'. (Regent Road studios)




John Edwards, Watton 

WN1883, KN1888, WN1890




Market Street, Wymondham   





Ran a studio at 7 Blackfriars' Street (more usually known as Blackfriars' Road), Lynn. Known from a carte dating from around 1880 and from an entry in the 1881 census, when he was a boarder at 15 Priory Lane, Lynn. He was recorded as aged 25, born in London; his occupation was given as 'photography'.




Ely was the first Norfolk licensee of the daguerreotype process, and a picture of his activities can be built up by combining information given by Adamson and Heathcote. He opened a studio at Royal Bazaar, St Andrew’s Street, Norwich, on 8th December 1843. This studio was retained until August 1844, but during that time he also made forays into other towns. For a while in February 1844 he had a studio in the New Market Rooms, Market Place, King’s Lynn, and from June or July until September 1844 he put his name to a Yarmouth studio in Victoria Road, near Victoria Parade. A second Norwich studio was established at 1 Exchange Street from 11th July 1845 until some time in October. He also worked briefly in Swaffham during 1845. Further information about Ely can be found on the 'Early Norfolk Photographs' website.


EMERSON, Peter Henry


1856-1936. Particularly active in Norfolk in the 1880s and early 1890s.Though well known for his images of the county, Emerson was not a studio photographer. A champion of the naturalistic approach to photography, he became noted for his photographs of East Anglian scenery and life. He spent much time on the Broads, and his pictorial books include ‘Life and Landscape on the Norfolk Broads’ (1886) and ‘Idylls of the Norfolk Broads’ (1887).




Listed by Cory at 72 King Street, Norwich, 1894-1896.




18 St Peter's Paved Row, Yarmouth       



18 St Peter's Paved Row West, Yarmouth



FINCH, Eugene Arthur


Austin identifies him as the third son (1857-1883) of William Henry Finch senior (below). He acted as assistant to his father during the 1870s, when the business was based in Acle. In the early 1880s he went on to run his own studio in Southwold, Suffolk, where he used the name Arthur Aegena Finch.


FINCH, Walter Juan



HN1872, HN1877


Red Lion Street, Aylsham        

KN1875, KN1879, WN1883, KN1883


Thoroughfare, Harleston       



Described as ‘photographer & artist’ in HN1872, HN1877. Identified as the second son (1843-1888) of William Henry Finch senior (below) by Austin, which notes that the Red Lion Street studio was established by 1871. Walter Finch was also found by Cory at 32 St Giles Street, Norwich, 1886. (This is confirmed by a carte de visite mount, dating from the 1880s and giving St Giles Street as the studio address.) Austin also mentions the studio at 32 St Giles Street, but believes it was preceded by an earlier Norwich studio at 39 Prince of Wales Road. (A mount from the 1880s names contemporaneous studios at Red Lion Street, Aylsham, and Prince of Wales Road, Norwich.)


Like his father, Finch did not confine himself to the studio. A tintype of three children at the seaside bears on its mount the handwritten inscription: ‘W J Finch, Cromer Beach, Augst 10th/76’. This is an example of Finch's itinerant work with portable tintype equipment. It would not have been necessary to return to Aylsham to process the picture.


FINCH, Wiliam Henry, senior


(Information derived from Austin - see 'Sources & Conventions' page for details.) Originally a whitesmith and later a portrait painter, Finch (1816-1883) had become a 'photographic artist' in Norwich by 1857. His address in 1861 was Sparkes Yard, Norwich. He was in business in Acle by 1871 (and had probably made the move around 1863). He undertook some conventional studio work there, but Acle also became the base from which he travelled around East Norfolk under the pseudonym of 'Aegena Fynch'. This itinerant work may well have been commissioned as a project to document contemporary rural life.


FINCH, William Henry, junior


Austin identifies him as the eldest son (1840-1899) of William Henry Finch senior (above). He was working in his father's Norwich-based business by 1861, but by 1869 he had his own studio at Magdalen Gates, Norwich, where he operated under the pseudonym 'Signor Henri Aegena'. He went on, as Aegena (q.v.) to run a studio in Thetford in the 1870s and 1880s. 


FISHER, William T


St George's Road, Norwich         



Regent Road, Yarmouth       



2 Regent Road & 55 South Quay, Yarmouth



According to Heathcote, Fisher was at St George’s Road from 1853 until 1855 or later, and then at the Yarmouth address until 1859 (Regent Road studios). He was still in Norwich when his daguerreotypes were praised by 'The Norfolk News' on 16th July 1855. 


Fisher belongs to the generation of photographers that made the change from daguerreotypy to the wet collodion process. He went on to advertise his collodion solutions for sale nationally. In his advertisement in FP1859 he presents himself primarily as an optician, but he also 'invites attention to his Photographic Portraits, taken by his improved method'. He refers to 'Fisher's Unrivalled Collodion' and offers 'photographic chemicals and apparatus, and an elementary lesson given to purchasers of sets of instruments'.


FISK, Henry


Market Row, Yarmouth

CY1863, WN1864


FLOWER, Burrell &


75 Dereham Road, Norwich



FLOWER, Joseph George

Market Row, Yarmouth       

CY1863, MS1868


16 Market Row, Yarmouth       



FOAKES, George

18 St Peter's Row West, Yarmouth


A family connection with Daniel Folkes, below, seems possible, and a misspelling of the surname in one or other directory is suspected. (Kelly is usually fairly reliable, while TC1901 is far from error-free.)


FOLKES, Daniel


18 St Peter's Paved Row, Yarmouth       



FOLKES, George


Unrecorded, but suspected of existing. See George Foakes above.


FORD, James Pearce


Regent Road, Yarmouth

HN1863, CY1863, WN1864, KN1865, KN1869


Regent Road, Albion Road, Yarmouth



Regent Street, Yarmouth



(Regent Road studios)


FOX, Frederick


Great Hockham, Thetford         

KN1912, KN1916




2 Minnie Terrace, West End Street, Norwich



FREEMAN, Herbert S


58 St Stephen's Street, Norwich

MN1867, HN1868




Rampant Horse Street, Norwich

HN1863, WN1864


Two generations of photographer could, in theory, be involved here, since HN1863 lists ‘W Freeman Jun’ and WN1864 lists ‘W P B Freeman’.


According to announcements in 'The Lynn Advertiser' and 'The Norfolk Chronicle', Oct 11th 1856, W Freeman junior set up his studio at 3 Rampant Horse Street as successor to Oliver Sarony (q.v.). More information about Freeman can be found on the 'Early Norfolk Photographs' website.




Theatre Street, Norwich



FYNCH, Aegena


Professional alias of William Henry Finch senior (see above).


FYNCH, Eugenia




Austin points out that 'Eugenia' is an error. The entry should read 'Fynch, Aegena', which was the professional alias of William Henry Finch, senior (see above).




            20 St James Street, King’s Lynn

            TAL 1908


GAVIN & Banger


White Lion Street, Norwich         



Back of the Inns, Norwich         



85 Upper St Giles Street, Norwich         





85 St Giles Street, Norwich         

KN1896, KN1900, TC1901, KN1904


Cory lists Gavin at this address from 1894.



36 Vauxhall Street, Norwich         

KN1912, AN1916


51 Vauxhall Street, Norwich         



57 Vauxhall Street, Norwich         





Shown by Cory at Bank Plain, Norwich, 1886-1888. David Gobbitt has identified him as Mortimer Charles Gidney (operating as C M Gidney), who took over the studio of Robert Green (below), and who was succeeded by Bond & Newman (q.v.). Gidney's occupation of the studio was probably briefer than Cory supposed, since a copyright registration found by David Gobbitt indicates that Bond and Newman were already at the Bank Plain address by October 1886.


GILKES, William


Westlegate Street, Norwich         



Sylvia Shankland, Gilkes' great-great-grandaughter, reports the family tradition that he was, at some point, a theatrical scenic artist in Norwich. He died on 22nd March 1868, aged 45, but Cory shows him still in Westlegate Street in 1872. Sylvia Shankland suggests (very tentatively) that a son, also a William, may have carried on the business for a time after his father's death. 


GRAY, George C

16 Regent Road, Yarmouth       



(Regent Road studios)


GREEN, Charles


182 King Street, Yarmouth



Green was the manager of the London Photographic Company at the above address.




Opie Street, Norwich         

HN1863, HN1868, HN1872


Bank Street, Norwich         



Since it is believed that the Bank Street studio was on the corner adjoining Bank Plain, it is very likely that this photographer is the same as Robert Green, below.


A mount describing Green’s Bank Street studio as the ‘Great Eastern Photographic Establishment’ states that the business was founded in 1854.


GREEN, Robert


Bank Plain, Norwich         

KN1865, MN1867, KN1869, HAM1879, WN1883, EN1883


See also R Green, above. The studio was subsequently taken over by C M Gidney, above,


GRIFFITH(S), David Knox


20 St Giles Street, Norwich         



According to Cory, Griffith(s) was employed earlier in the decade at this address, when Robert Hindry Mason (q.v.) was running the studio. Peter Klein points out that he was advertising his studio (‘late Mason & Co.’) in the Norfolk press as early as July 1868.


GRIMWOOD, Burgess &


Queen Street, Norwich

HN1868, KN1869, HN1872


According to 'The Norfolk News' of 23rd December 1865, they had just opened their Queen Street studio the day before. 


Thomas Henry Grimwood appears in KN1865 as a tailor, draper and hatter at 5 Lower Goat Lane, Norwich, where John Middleton Burgess had his earlier photographic studio.




Return to Norfolk index