EARLY NORFOLK PHOTOGRAPHERS – K-M

 

 

KELF, Walter

 

89 Regent Road, Yarmouth       

KN1912, KY1913/14, KY1915/16, KN1916, AN1916

 

KERRY

 

Messrs Kerry worked briefly in Lynn during August and (probably) September1851, according to a press advertisement of 30th August 1851. A second visit is possible, since Henry J Hillen, in his 'History of the Borough of King's Lynn' (1907), mentions that they operated as photographers in the town in 1852. But he may be misremembering the date. They seem likely to be the R & W Kerry noted by Heathcote, who were itinerant silhouettists and portrait painters in the 1840s, and who appeared as (apparently) calotype photographers in Leamington Spa in 1853.

 

KIESLING, Herr L

 

Jeary's Photographic Rooms, Exchange Street, Norwich

KN1865

 

KING, Harry R

 

136 St Benedict's Street, Norwich

KN1896

 

KING, Isabella

 

Sister-in-law of Thomas Ayers (q.v.). She was living with the Ayers family in 1861, when she was described as a 'photographic artist'.

 

KING, Joseph

 

78 Edinburgh Road, Norwich

WN1890

 

KING'S LYNN Photographic Co., (Christopher Wallis, manager)

 

4 London Road, Lynn

KN1879

 

Wallis & Manders took over the studio from Edwin Bullock in 1878 and rebranded it 'The King's Lynn Photographic Company', in an attempt to serve a higher end of the market than they had previously targeted. By July 1881 the premises had been taken over by Edwin Mowll.

 

LAMBERT, John B

 

3 Rose Lane, Norwich

KN1912

 

LAST, A

 

Known only from a carte de visite, found by Paul Godfrey, from the studio of 'A. Last, Albion Road, Gt. Yarmouth'. The carte appears to date from the 1890s or early 20th century and could possibly represent the earlier work of Norwich photographer Alfred R G Last, below.

 

LAST, Alfred R G

 

7 St Gregory's Alley, Norwich

KN1908, JN1911, KN1912, JN1914, KN1916

 

LAXON, Dinsdale &

 

134a King Street, Yarmouth       

KY1911/12

 

134a Regent Road, Yarmouth

KN1912

 

AN1916 records ‘Mirror Studio (Dinsdale & Laxon), 134a King Street, Yarmouth’. But Albert Dinsdale was working separately at 157 King Street by KY1913/14, while Laxon continued at number 134a (see below). The reference in AN1916 may be to identify the studio – as in ‘late Dinsdale & Laxon’ – rather than evidence of a resumed partnership. Alternatively, it may suggest that by 1916 the pair were, between them, running a small chain of studios.

 

The Regent Road address in KN1912 looks a little suspicious. (King Street studios)

 

LAXON, H H

 

134a King Street, Yarmouth       

KY1913/14, KY1915/16, KN1916

 

 (King Street studios)

 

LEE, William

 

6 Providence Place, (Russell Road,) Yarmouth

HN1863, CY1863

 

Providence Place, Yarmouth       

WN1864

 

80 Regent Road, Yarmouth

HN1868, MS1868, KN1869

 

Regent Road, Yarmouth       

HN1872, HN1877

 

69 Regent Road, Yarmouth       

GY1874, KN1875, SYc1878, KN1879

 

HN1877 presumably refers to the studio at number 69, but HN1872 could refer to either of the Regent Road premises. SYc1878 also records William Lee at Bedford Place, St Nicholas Road, Yarmouth, but this may be a home rather than a studio address.

 

LIGHTNING SPEED PHOTOGRAPHY GALLERY

 

A short-lived enterprise discovered by photographic historian Paul Godfrey, and also referred to as Louis Smith & Co. It was a partnership formed by Percy John Swain (q.v.) and Louis Smith (q.v.), and it was active in Orford Place, Norwich, from September to December 1907.

 

LINAY, Thomas

 

Recorded by the 1871 census as a photographer's assistant, aged 37, living in Blackfriars Street, King's Lynn.

 

'LITTLE BILL'

 

A Yarmouth beach photographer, 'Little Bill, the Postcard King' had a studio at 4 South Market Road, next to the Britannia Pier, shortly after (and possibly shortly before) the First World War. Paul Godfrey has identified him as William Martin and has provided further information about him.

 

William was born in Birmingham in about 1884 to Frederick and Mary Ann Martin. By 1901 Frederick was an innkeeper at the Canterbury Inn, Yarmouth, and his son, 'Willie', aged 17, was a 'photographic artist'. William has not been conclusively located in the 1911 census, but he may be the William Martin, aged 27, who was boarding in Holt Street, Wrexham. His wife was Mary Martin, aged 29, born in Great Yarmouth. The couple were recorded initially as 'fair people' and, after this description had been crossed out, as 'showmen'. (Paul points out that itinerant photographers were often to be found at fairgrounds,) By 1920, William was back in Yarmouth and recorded as renting a photographer's pitch - at a price that had been increased from 12/6d to 13/6d a week - under the Britannia Pier. His address was given as 4 South Market Street.

 

LOCK, W M

 

117 Norfolk Street, Lynn

TL1901

 

LOCKWOOD, John

 

Yarmouth photographer. Paul Godfrey has discovered that he married Elizabeth Miller, widow of Wallace (both q.v.) in 1896 and was described as  'photographic artist' in 1891 and 'photographer and art dealer' in 1901. It seems that the business continued to be run under the name of Miller.

 

LOGSDAIL, Henry

 

Chemist and photographer. Logsdail was professionally active in the King's Lynn area in Edwardian times, and has left pictures of local buildings, shops, shopkeepers, craftsmen and events. Hepworth includes a number of his pictures – shops with staff, a blacksmith, two female motorcyclists, and a royal group attending a hunt at Gayton Hall – all of which date from around 1907/8.  A locally popular series of postcards, showing the king and his family at the opening of Lynn’s Edward VII Grammar School, dates from 1906.  He was still active as a postcard publisher until well into the 1920s. No evidence has yet been found, though, of a Logsdail portrait studio.

 

LOMAX, Ben

 

Rougham        

KN1896

 

LONDON Photographic Co., (Charles Green, manager)

 

182 King Street, Yarmouth

KN1888

 

(King Street studios)

 

LSP GALLERY

 

See Lightning Speed Photography Gallery, above.

 

MACE & Mase

 

Church Street, Mount Street, Cromer

KN1896, KN1900

 

This firm may be connected with Mace Brothers and Herbert Mace, below. ‘Mace & Mase of Cromer’ has been found on photographic mounts dating from August 1896 and from the early 1900s, which undermines any suggestion that ‘Mase’ is a directory misprint for ‘Mace’.

 

MACE Brothers

 

Esplanade Studio, Hunstanton

KN1888, KN1892, KN1896

 

Hunstanton     

WN1890

 

Garden Street, Cromer

WN1890

 

 

MACE, Augustus

 

Hunstanton     

KN1892

 

Listed by Dimond as photographing Queen Alexandra (date unknown).

 

MACE, Herbert

 

Middleton Terrace, Hunstanton

WN1883

 

Church Street, Cromer

KN1892, KN1904

 

According to Savin & Holden, Mace operated from a caravan on Cromer Beach around or before 1880. A while later, he also set up a camera obscura near the beach. His Church Street studio, Balcony House, was purpose-built for his photography business.

 

MACE, T

 

Esplanade Studio, Hunstanton

KN1900, KN1904, KN1908

 

Heacham

KN1904, KN1908, KN1912

 

MACK, Thomas


Church Street, Cromer

WN1883, WN1890, KN1900

 

Hamilton Road, Cromer

KN1888, KN1892, KN1896, KN1900, KN1904, KN1908

 

High Street, Cromer            

KN1904

 

Referred to as Thomas Mack in directories up to and including 1890, and as Tom Mack thereafter.

 

Mack was also a jet cutter and optician, and Savin & Holden add bookseller, newsagent and watchmaker to the list. They recall that he billed his photographic business as: 'Photographic Portrait & Landscape Artist. Shop Church Street, Studio Hamilton Road'.

 

A photograph in Hepworth of Church Street, Cromer, dated 1900, shows two women looking into the shop front of Mack's two-storey premises. Front and side windows and front display panels are all full of examples of his photographs. The main sign, however, over the front of the studio, emphasises that he is an optician offering ‘glasses to suit’.

 

MACKIE, John James

 

70 Regent Road, Yarmouth

CY1863

 

Regent Road, Yarmouth

WN1864

 

His bankruptcy was noted in  'The Norfolk News', 12th November 1864.

 

M(a)cLEAN

 

There seem to be no useful clues to be derived from the choice between ‘Mc’ and ‘Mac’, and the spelling may sometimes reflect the typesetter’s usage rather than the owner’s preference. For what it’s worth, the original source's spelling has been preserved for each individual, with ‘M(a)cLean’ recorded in cases where usage varied.

 

MacLEAN

 

'A photographer lodging at the Bull Inn', Fakenham. 'The Norfolk News', 2nd June 1866, reported that his bed caught fire and that his hands were seriously burnt in extinguishing the flames. It seems possible that he could be the same as George McLean of Fakenham, below.

 

 

MacLEAN, Misses Blanche & Mildred

 

Market Place, North Walsham

KN1896

 

McLEAN, George

 

'The Norfolk News', 4th May, 1867, carried a report of 'George McLean, of Fakenham, photographer', being fined for assaulting Edward Seppings, a Fakenham butcher.

 

McLEAN, George

 

Market Street, North Walsham

HN1872, HN1877

 

North Walsham

KN1875

 

Market Place, North Walsham

KN1879

 

McLean originated from Cambridgeshire. He is described as combining his photographer’s studio with a ‘fancy repository’ in HN1872 and HN1877.

 

M(a)cLEAN, Mrs Jane

 

Market Place, North Walsham

KN1883, KN1888, WN1890, KN1892

 

A carte mount of the late 80s or early 90s says that J MacLean specialises in ‘Large Groups and All branches of outdoor Photography’.

 

MacLEAN, Lawrence George

 

Market Place, North Walsham

KN1900. KN1904, KN1908, KN1912, KN1916, AN1916

 

M(a)cLEAN, William

 

Near the railway station, Hunstanton

HN1868, HN1872, HN1877

 

Hunstanton     

KN1869, KN 1875, KN1879, KN1883, KN1888, KN1892, KN1896

 

Beach Terrace, Hunstanton     

WN1883

 

Beach Place, Hunstanton     

KN1900

 

Beech Road, Hunstanton

TC1901

 

 

Beech Road, Hunstanton

TC1901TC1901

 

The earliest record of him is an advertisement in the 'Lynn Advertiser', 23rd June 1866. The listing in KN1896 (only) is of 'William MacLean senior', so a second practitioner may remain unidentified among these entries. (Census returns provide no clarification.) HN1868 describes M(a)cLean as photographer and artist'. It seems possible that TC1901 offers a misspelling of 'Beach'.

 

MAHOMET, Albert John

 

Theatre Road, Wells   

KN1896, KN1900, KN1904

 

A cabinet print dating from the late 1890s, or (possibly) early 1900s, refers to studios in both Theatre Road and Freeman Street. Mahomet also published, during the early 1900s, a series of postcards entitled ‘Pretty Places’. For further information about his remarkable life, see separate studio note.

 

MALING, A D

 

146 Victoria Road, Diss

KN1916

 

This appears to be Archie Donald Maling (born in Diss 1880/1), who was working in Nottinghamshire in 1901, but who was back in his native area by the time of the 1911 census. See also Malins, below.

 

MALINS, A D

 

Victoria Road, Diss

AN1916

 

This seems to be a misprint for Maling, above. No A D Malins has been found in the 1901 or 1911 census.

 

MANBY

 

Prince of Wales Road, Norwich

KN1908

 

The full address was 18 Prince of Wales Road, according to cabinet prints, including one dated 1907.

 

MANDERS, Wallis &

 

Blackfriars Street, Lynn

HN1877, KN1879

 

They opened for business on 1st January 1877. KN1879 has the spelling ‘Walles’, and 'Blackfriars Street' is also a directory error: the studio was in Blackfriars Road. 

 

MANN & Adcock

 

6 Upper St Giles Street, Norwich         

WN1883, EN1883

 

E D Adcock is recorded alone at this address, KN1883.

 

MANN, James

 

Pottergate Street West, Norwich         

HN1863, WN1864

 

6 Upper St Giles Street, Norwich         

HN1865, MN1867, HN1868, KN1869, HN1872, HN1877, CLN1877

 

Upper St Giles Street, Norwich

KN1875, KN1879, HAM1879

 

A slightly shortened version of the street name was also in common use, as shown on a James Mann carte from (probably) the end of the 1870s: this gives the address as ‘6 Upper Giles Street’.

 

Cory notes that a J Mann was chief photographer at Jeary’s Photographic Rooms, Norwich, in the early 1860s. In CLN1877 Mann advertised himself as a licensee of the autotype process (see Sawyer & Bird). At that time he was pricing his cartes de visite at 6/- a dozen.

 

 

MANNING, Robert F

 

Heathcote places Manning in Surrey Street, Norwich, 1850.

 

MARR & Co

 

65 Prince of Wales Road, Norwich

KN1900, TC1901, KN1904, KN1908, JN1911, KN1912, JN1914, KN1916, AN1916

 

MARTIN, Paul

 

Martin was a London wood engraver whose 1892 holiday photographs of the Yarmouth area have become well known. He later became a professional photographer.

 

MARTIN, William

 

Believed to be the Yarmouth beach photographer who traded as 'Little Bill, the Postcard King' in the years just before and/or after the First World War. See 'Little Bill' for details.

 

MASE, Mace &

 

Church Street, Mount Street, Cromer

KN1896, KN1900

 

MASON, Herbert

 

Son of Walter Edward Mason (below). Paul Godfrey reports that Herbert learnt his trade in his father's Yarmouth studio, and that he went on to become the press photographer who took the famous picture of St Paul's Cathedral surrounded by smoke and flames, which appeared in the Daily Mail' on 21st December 1940. 

 

MASON, Robert Hindry

 

20 St Giles Street, Norwich         

KN1865, MN1867

 

22 St Giles Street, Norwich         

HN1868

 

Active by 1864. Paul Womack draws attention to an advertisement in 'The Norfolk Chronicle', 23rd July 1864, in which Mason listed  his series of cartes de visite of the clergy of the diocese of Norwich. This advertisement gives three studio addresses: 20 St Giles Street, Norwich; 7 Amen Corner, London; and 9 Promenade Villas, Cheltenham. The Norwich business is referred to in 'The Norfolk Chronicle' and in MN1867 as Mason & Co. KN1865 mentions a studio at 28 Old Bond Street, London, and Pritchard shows Mason at this address from 1865 to1874. The Cheltenham studio (recorded as Mason & Co at 9a Promenade Villas) is recorded by Hallett and dated to 1865. Peter Klein points out that the HN1868 reference to Mason & Co at 22 St Giles Street is almost certainly a printing error.  All Mason’s newspaper advertisements for 1868, as well as those of his successor, David Griffith(s), give number 20 as the correct address. For clarification of the various studio addresses, and for their use in dating photographs, see separate studio note.

 

In 1865 Mason published ‘Norfolk Photographically Illustrated', a collection of topographical and, especially, architectural studies.

 

MASON, Walter Edward

 

St Peter's Paved Row East, Yarmouth

KN1908

 

20 St Peter's Row East, Yarmouth       

KY1911/12

 

12a Regent Road, Yarmouth       

KN1912, KY1913/14

 

40 & 41 The Arcade, Marine Parade, Yarmouth

KN1912, KN1916

 

(Regent Road studios)

 

MASON, Messrs, & Co

 

'Photographers and Photographic Publishers of London', who announced in 'The Norfolk Chronicle', 3rd October 1863. their intention to 'remain in Norwich a few days longer at Yoxford House, St Stephen's Road'.

 

MILLER

 

14 King Street, Yarmouth

KN1892

 

This entry would appear to refer to Elizabeth Miller, below.

 

MILLER, Mrs Elizabeth

 

3 Exmouth Place, Albion Road, Yarmouth       

KN1883

 

14 King Street, Yarmouth

KN1888, WN1890, KN1896

 

116 Regent Road, Yarmouth       

WN1890

 

14a King Street, Yarmouth

KN1900, TC1901

 

Regent Road, Yarmouth

TC1901

 

TC1901 adds 'also artists' colourman'. Photo-historian Paul Godfrey reports that, after the death of her husband, Wallace (below), she married         John Lockwood (q.v.) in Great Yarmouth in 1886. Lockwood, he adds, is listed in 1891 and 1901 censuses as a photographer, presumably working in the Miller business. The Miller name, however, continued in use. Paul adds that the building at 14a King Street, originally occupied by Sawyer and Bird, still exists, though its north-light daylight studio has disappeared. See also the note under W R Miller, below. (Miller studios)

 

MILLER, Emily

 

Daughter of Elizabeth, above, and Wallace, below. Paul Godfrey has found her working as 'photographer's assistant' (aged 25, and presumably in the family business) in the1901 census.

 

MILLER, Frederick W

 

Norwich Street, Fakenham

KN1892

 

MILLER, John

 

Yarmouth       

WS1892

 

Miller also had a studio in Beccles, Suffolk, according to WS1892 and Kelly’s Suffolk 1892.

 

MILLER, Thomas J, junior

 

Norwich Street, Fakenham

KN1888

 

MILLER, Wallace R

 

182 King Street, Yarmouth

KN1883, WN1883

 

One of Miller’s carte mounts records ‘10 years manager for Sawyer & Bird’. The King Street studio was formerly part of their business. (Miller studios). Paul Godfrey reports two W R Miller cartes, dating from the first half of the 1880s, and each bearing two Yarmouth addresses: 14 King Street and 182 King Street. It seems that, after Wallace's death, his widow, Elizabeth (see above) briefly carried on two studios, still operating under her husband's name, before settling to work under her own name at 14 King Street.  

 

MIRROR Studio, (Dinsdale & Laxon)

 

134a King Street, Yarmouth       

AN1916

 

(King Street studios)

 

MOORE, George

 

Wymer Street West, Norwich

HN1863, WN1864, KN1869

 

Dereham Road, Norwich

MN1867, HN1868, KN1869, HN1872

 

MOORE, Raoul

 

18a Prince of Wales Road, Norwich         

JN1914, KN1916

 

MORLEY, John

 

Found by Norfolk historian Christopher Pipe in Cromer in the 1871 census. He is listed as photographer and piano tuner.

 

MOWLE, Claude 

 

Information from 'Water Marks', Ian Collins; Black Dog Books, 2010): Mowle (1871-1950) had a photographic studio in Gorleston in the early years of the 20th century. He also worked in partnership with Kenneth Luck (1873-1935), who was a Yarmouth pier-head painter, specialising in pictures of fishing vessels. Mowle took photographs which Luck then used as guides on which to base his paintings. On occasion Mowle projected lantern slides on to board or canvas, and marked in outlines of the boats for Luck to follow.

 

 

MOWLL, Edwin Balleshall

 

4 London Road, Lynn

WN1883, KN1883, KN1888

 

The spelling ‘Mowell’ is used in KN1888. Mowll first advertised in the local press in July 1881. Charles Weale took over the studio in about 1890. By 1891 John H Hall was practising at this address, and his studio is identified as ‘late E B Mowell’ in LNA1892.

 

MUNDAY, Peter George

 

39 Jury Street, Yarmouth

WN1890

 

A carte mount dating from c1871/2 shows Munday operating from an Attleborough studio. For his Hoxne studio, see the Suffolk directory.

 

MUNFORD, Miss Kate

 

Hackford, Norwich         

KN1896

 

MUNNINGS, A J

27 St Giles Street, Norwich         

AN1916

 

 

 

Return to Norfolk index