EARLY NORFOLK PHOTOGRAPHERS – N-R

 

 

NEAVE, William John

 

Neatishead, Norwich         

KN1908, KN1912

 

NEVE, C J

 

Neve ran a Photographic Institute at St Stephen's Gates, Norwich. He is known from an ambrotype that appears to date from the late 1850s.

 

NEWMAN, George

 

45 Dereham Road, Norwich         

KN1888

 

Foundry Bridge, Prince of Wales Road, Norwich

KN1892

 

Cory notes a studio at 1 Queen Street, Norwich, 1889. He appears to be the Newman of 'Bond & Newman' (q.v.) and is probably also the same as George W Newman, below.

 

NEWMAN, George W

 

Manager at the Foundry Road, Norwich, studio of George Browne (q.v.) at some time in the 1880s. Quite possibly the same as George Newman, above.

 

NICHOLSON, Samuel

 

Market Place, Fakenham

HN1868, KN1869, HN1872, KN1875

 

Nicholson is recorded as chemist, druggist and insurance agent at the same address in HN1863. He is described as chemist as well as photographer in HN1868 and HN1872. In HN1877 he is described as dispensing and agricultural chemist, tea dealer, oil merchant and dealer in photographic chemicals and apparatus – but no longer as a studio photographer.

 

NORWICH Photographic Co

 

Queen Street, Norwich

WN1883, KN1883, EN1883

 

Cory believes the company lasted from about 1881 until around 1886.

 

NURSE, William

 

Burnham Market            

HN1863, HN1872, KN1875, HN1877, KN1879, WN1883, KN1883, KN1888

 

He is described as baker & photographer, HN1863, HN1872.

 

OGLEBY, Samuel

 

St Stephen's Gates, Norwich         

CN1856

 

Described as ‘photographic portrait painter’. Heathcote doesn’t record this studio, but it seems likely to be the same as Oglesby below.

 

OGLESBY, Samuel

 

An Eastern counties itinerant. 'The Norfolk News', 29th July 1854, refers to him working as a daguerreotypist in Thetford and says he has 'been long practising his art in Australia, and with much success'. According to Heathcote, he set up a Norwich studio in St Stephen’s Road (near the Norfolk & Norwich hospital) in 1854. Also from 'The Norfolk News': a mention that he exhibited at the Norwich School of Artsoirée on 23rd March 1856; and an announcement, on 21st June 1856, that his 'long stay' in Norwich would shortly be coming to an end.

 

He may have gone on to practise in the North of England before settling in Llandudno in the 1860s.See also Ogleby, above.

 

O'HANLON, Mrs Rachael

 

108 Norfolk Street, Lynn    

KN1912

 

ORD, W


Castle Meadow & Westlegate, Norwich         

KN1858

 

ORIENT Art Co (Bert Armond Taylor, propr.)

 

Bridge Chambers, Southtown Road, Yarmouth

KN1904

 

ORIENTAL Photo Co/ Studio


157 King Street, Yarmouth       

KN1908, KN1912, AN1916

 

Listed as Oriental Photo Co in KN1908/KN1912 and as Oriental Studio in AN1916.

(King Street studios)

 

PARISH, John

 

45 Southtown Road, Yarmouth

WN1890, KN1892

 

PARISIAN Art Photographic Co

 

31 Prince of Wales Road, Norwich         

KN1896

 

A cabinet print from the 1890s gives the address as 74 King Street, Norwich. Cory records this as a short-lived studio, occupied after the one in Prince of Wales Road.

 

PASHLEY, A W

 

Paul Godfrey has found an advertisement by J W Pashley, chemist and photographer of Harleston, in the 'Norfolk News', 3rd April 1852. Pashley was looking for 'two or three respectable well-educated, Scientific Young Men who would undertake to travel with Daguerreotype and Calotype Apparatus, for taking Portraits and Views by the latest improvements.' If any such wished to join him in 'the above lucrative employment' and could invest £50-70, Pashley would undertake to 'make them perfect in the Art, and ... take an equal share of the risk'.

 

PEARSE, George S

 

Victoria Road, Diss     

KN1908, KN1912

 

PECK, E

High Street, Dereham

TC1901

PERCY, John

 

See the entry for John Percy Swain, who was using John Percy as an alias, 1907/8.

 

PLOWRIGHT, Walter C

 

Market Place, Swaffham       

KN1904, KN1908. KN1912, KN1916

 

PORTER, Florence

 

Assistant of Jasper James Wright (q.v.) of King's Lynn. She is mentioned in the 1898-1900 diary of James Speight (q.v.), and is recorded in the 1901 census as a photographer living with her parents in Austin Street, King's Lynn.


PRESTON & Co

 

Market Place, Holt

KN1908

 

PRESTON, Thomas

 

Market Place, Holt

KN1912

 

New Street, Holt

KN1916

 

PRICE, Alfred

 

26 King Street, Yarmouth       

KN1888, WN1890, KN1892, KN1896

 

68 Southtown Road, Yarmouth

KN1888

 

Paul Godfrey reports that, towards the end of his tenure of 26 King Street, Price employed Frank Sayers (q.v.) as manager. He was present at the Photographic Convention of the United Kingdom, 1897, but the studio appears, by that time, to have had Sayers' name above the door. (See also King Street studios).

 

PRIDGEON, W R

 

103 High Street, Lynn

WN1864

 

Originally a clock maker, Pridgeon briefly played host to the business of Oliver Sarony (q.v.), before setting himself up as Sarony's successor in March 1857 (Source: Lynn Advertiser). Dimond reports that, on 3rd April 1865 at Sandringham, Edward, Prince of Wales’ wrote, ‘We and the whole party were photographed (in a group) by Mr Pridgeon, a Lynn photographer and the result was satisfactory.’ A report in The Lon don Standard of December 4th 1865 suggests there was a second such occasion towards the end of the year.

 

PRIEST, Ernest

 

Photographic historian Paul Godfrey has supplied details of Priest's career. A watchmaker from Leeds, he arrived in Norwich at the turn of the century. He ran an optician's business at 129 Magdalen Street (c1905-7) before opening a photographic studio at 21 Prince of Wales Road. He went on to become involved in the infant moving picture industry, spent time running a travelling show, and was a collaborator in the establishment of Norwich's first purpose-built cinema, which opened in October 1912.

 

Priest's portrait studio seems to have been short-lived, for the 'Edinburgh Gazette' of 2nd June 1908 reported the bankruptcy of  "Alfred Ernest Priest, 21A Prince of Wales Road, Norwich, and residing at 51 Sprowston Road, Norwich, photographer". 

 

PROUT, J A

 

Hired to help in the King's Lynn studio of Willliam Woodhouse (q.v.) from 1st January 1866, Prout took over the Blackfriars Road premises in April 1866. Woodhouse reacquired the business in December 1867 or January !868. (Source: Lynn Advertiser)

 

PURDY, Miss Amy Elizabeth

 

84 High Street, Lynn    

KN1908, KN1912, KN1916

 

QUINTON, Benjamin J

 

Rose Lane, Norwich         

HN1864, WN1864

 

Opie Street, Norwich         

KN1865, MN1867, KN1869

 

Bank Street, Norwich         

HN1868

 

Fishgate Street, Norwich

WN1883

                       

QUINTON, Mrs Caroline

 

Barn Road, Norwich         

KN1888

 

QUINTON, S

 

Bank Street, Norwich         

HN1872

 

RALPH, Frederick

 

Victoria Cottage, Dersingham

KN1896, KN1900, KN1904, KN1908, KN1912, KN1916

 

The Esplanade, Hunstanton     

KN1908

 

High Road, Hunstanton     

KN1912

 

Hunstanton     

AN1916

 

A 1906 cabinet print by F Ralph of Hunstanton records that the photographer is ‘by special appointment to HM the King’. Dimond explains that Ralph was Usher of the Servants’ Hall at Sandringham for nearly four decades, and that for the last few years of this time he combined the role with running a local photographic business. (Dimond believes the Hunstanton branch was established by 1892.) Ralph claimed, in a 1902 magazine interview, to have taught Princess (later Queen) Alexandra to take and process her own photos. Certainly she became a keen photographer and, though grander professional input may have been sought when she learnt the necessary skills, t seems quite possible that she profited from Ralph’s experience and advice. 

 

See also Frederick William Ralph, below.

 

RALPH, Frederick William

 

Heacham Road, Hunstanton

KN1896, KN1900

 

High Road, Hunstanton

TC1901

 

Southgate, Hunstanton 

KN1904

 

Described in the 1891 census as artist and photographer, Frederick William was the older son of Frederick, above. He worked with his father before setting up in business under his own name.

 

RALPH, Walter

 

Cameo Studio, Dersingham     

KN1912, KN1916, AN1916

 

Walter was the younger son of Frederick, above. He, too, started out in his father’s business before running his own studio.

 

RAY, W


Tower Street, Lynn

KN1858

 

READ, Alfred E

 

5 St Peter's Road, Yarmouth       

KY1911/12, KY1912, KY1913/14, KY1915/16, KN1916

 

49 St Peter's Road, Yarmouth

KY1911/12, KN1912, KY1913/14, KY1915/16

 

READ, A E

 

21 Wensum Street, Norwich         

KN1916

 

This could possibly be a new branch of the business of Alfred E Read, above.

 

READWIN, George Francis

 

34 Knowsley Road, Norwich         

KN1900

 

131a Magdalen Street, Norwich

KN1900, TC1901

 

TC1901 identifies the Magdalen Street address as 'The County Stores' and offers 'photography at moderate prices'.

 

REEVE, Mrs G

 

Old Market Place, Harleston       

KN1900, KN1904

 

REEVE, George R

 

Harleston       

WN1883

 

Redenhall, Harleston       

WN1890

 

Old Market Place, Harleston

KN1896

 

REEVE, Harry

 

Old Market Place, Harleston       

KN1908, KN1912, KN1916

 

REID, Archibald Frederick

 

Staithe Street, Wells   

KN1892

 

REMINGTON, H

 

Town Green, Wymondham

KN1900

 

REYNOLDS, William

 

102 High Street, Lynn

KN1912, KN1916, AN1916

 

ROBERTS, Edward H

 

Recorded in the 1901 census as a photographer, aged 25, boarding in Friars Street, King's Lynn.

 

ROBINSON, Alfred John

 

Stratton St Mary, Long Stratton

KN1900, KN1904, KN1908, KN1912, KN1916

 

RODWELL, Robert

 

Regent Road, Yarmouth

CY1863

 

(Regent Road studios)

 

ROGERS & Havers

 

Noted by Cory at 5 Davey Place, Norwich, 1859. Hepworth refers to the firm's advertisement in Roger's 1859 directory of Norwich. The business had closed by 29th December 1860, when, in 'The Norfolk News', J R Sawyer announced that he had bought out their entire stock. The 'Rogers' of this partnership seems likley to have been E D Rogers (below).

 

ROGERS, Alfred John

 

Church Street, Cromer

KN1912, KN1916

 

ROGERS, E D

 

He announced, in 'The Norfolk Chronicle' of 11th October 1856, his intention of opening a studio in Earlham Road, opposite Earlham Terrace, Norwich, on 'Monday next' (i.e. 13th October). He continued to advertise this studio until at least the autumn of 1857.

 

ROSE, George A

 

34 Nelson Road North, Yarmouth

TC1901, KN1904

 

ROSE, George Albert

 

2 Bell's Road, Gorleston       

WN1890

 

The similarity of names suggests he could be the same as George A Rose, above, but the 14-year gap prompts separate entries.

 

ROSE, John

 

41a Exchange Street, Norwich

KN1916

 

ROYAL, Walter James

 

West Street, Cromer           

KN1912, KN1916

 

RUMBLE, Albert Ernest

 

Hilgay, Downham

KN1908

 

RYDER, W

 

93 High Street, Lynn    

KN1865

 

 

 

Return to Norfolk index